Sunday, April 5, 2009

Me, a writer??

I've been thinking a good deal about writing lately. A number of factors are to blame: I need an outlet for pent up emotions and feelings, I need a creative outlet, I need a way to sort out all that goes on in my head, I need a way to communicate with the world. Being the nerd that I am, I've been scavenging for books on writing like a break-fasting hyena. They help me understand myself, they encourage me in my place now.

But what if I tried this thing for real? I read some people's memoirs and think, you know, maybe I could do this. I could write about my experiences, the simplicity of life and of learning to follow Jesus and love others in a crazy, consumerist, capitalist world. I wouldn't want to tell the world all about myself, but rather have an arena in which I can air my frustrations, my musings, and my wanderings. I would love to think that I can spark others' minds and questions, and to hear feedback from all sorts of people. I have this yearning to be in constant conversation with all of humanity, and maybe writing's the way to do it.

Don't worry--I'm not about to get ambitious yet. My insecurities and fear will likely keep me from trying to do anything too rash. But maybe, just maybe, one of these days I'll take a step...

5 comments:

Brian Hamilton-Vise said...

I think it's a great idea, actually--I think you should get that ambitious! I've been thinking about writing, too, and trying to convince myself that it's good and helpful and worthwhile to sit down and write a twenty-page essay (or a 150-page memoir) even if it will never be anything but a file on my computer. Just to write, in a bigger than bite-size blogging way, so as to keep thinking through and processing and organizing my experiences and impressions. Even if no one else ever reads it, or only a few of my friends do, I think somehow it still contributes to the human conversation.

Kristina said...

i would see this blog as already that first step...

go for it.

and i'd love to read anything you write... especially if it manages to make any sense out of faith and such (or even if it doesn't ;)).

Cynthia said...

You are a writer. Release your inner author my friend

Unknown said...

Alicia, I think you definitely could be a writer! You always have such articulate and profound things to say on here - I really appreciate your thoughts, even if you don't think they're anything extraordinary. Go for it! I think there definitely is value in writing honestly about the simple and sometimes broken way that we try to navigate life and faith, etc and I think you would be really good at it! :)

Anonymous said...

You, a writer?? Of course! Alicia, this has already been said by many other people who love you, but GO FOR IT!

You read enough books that I'm sure you probably think in poetic prose most of the time. You have such a raw understanding of life that it's great to listen to you and I'm certain a book would be you all over. Plus, if you wait until later, you won't be the same person you are now. I think a memoir is great if you can write it during different stages of life because your true self emerges at each time instead of trying to remember yourself 20 years ago.

So, please, write. I have every confidence in you. I'll be looking to read the first installment when I return!