Monday, April 19, 2010

Reading Dearth

I've been having the hardest time reading lately. It's not that I haven't tried: I've probably picked up about ten books in the last week. Two that I was actually committed to, I gave up on. The others, it was more of noncommittal browsing, waiting for something to catch me and say "this is it! The perfect book for right now!" Sadly, this hasn't happened very much. Or at all. I reread Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse, which was good, but I want to read something new, something to grab my mind and attention and lust for knowledge--or at least for a good story. A really good story.

Instead, I keep giving up. I love to read. I get completely enamored with books, with characters, with stories, with subjects. But nothing is quite catching my attention these days. I started wondering if it was a problem with me, whether it's an attention problem--I've been accused of ADD before. Truth be told, I don't even feel like reading Wendell Berry right now (and that's when you know it's bad).

Dear readers, have you ever gone through this? Is there some curse I'm under, and is there any magic to defeating it? Tomorrow I may wander through bookstacks, hoping again that something will catch my eye. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Uncle Dick said...

Yup. I have one right now, sort of. I think (for me, at least) that is has something to do with the change of season. Whereas in winter there are many dark hours before bedtime and the sun is always low, now I can't get inspired to look at a book when i could be looking out the window. I also don't have anything that is captivating. But that is ok. The days will get to hot to be outside and winter will come again. Maybe go to the park to read?