"The practice of mutual relationship comes when I turn my gaze from myself and 'look' into the face of the other. It is you and I, they and we, seeing and being seen. In the face of the other I see a true and authentic human being. We both reflect something of the image of God. The practice of relationship means that I acknowledge that I am not complete unto myself. I see my self in the face of the other. I am not fully my self until I can see 'me' in your face. You are the mirror of myself. I am the mirror of yourself. Only when we can see ourselves and each other are we fully human."
-Denise Ackermann,
South African theologian
15 years ago

1 comment:
Your letter with this quote came this week... thanks so much! It's a good one, indeed :)
Post a Comment