Friday, January 23, 2009

Moments of grace

Every once in a while, things happen at Yankee that make me smile, grateful that there are small graces to keep me going, to remind me that even in the midst of a job that doesn't fit me I can still keep something of myself. Here are a few snippets:

One day last fall, two older women came into the store to poke around. Mornings are often my favorite time, as customers are less rushed and less impatient. They seem more leisurely than their more harried evening counterparts. Also, I get to talk to them more. These two particular ladies were bubbly, which was extremely fun for me to see. Turns out, they were friends in high school who hadn't seen each other in forty years. That's a long time. But now, they were together, and something of their teenage years was visible in them again as they laughed and did their best to spoil each other. Some days, the need for celebration eclipses all others. These gals probably had worries of their own, but it didn't matter. That day was meant for celebration. I hope I remember to celebrate like that when I'm sixty. Or when I'm twenty-six.

Another day last fall, I was by myself when I heard this fantastic song called "Fireflies." It's about believing in fairy tales, Peter Pan, and miracles. It's a lot of fun. In the midst of it, I got to thinking about the children I get to see in the store and wrote the following:
Children have such a sense of wonder. They want to touch everything in sight. How does this feel? How does it smell? They almost automatically go for the baskets of votives and start smelling one after another, pausing occasionally to yell, "Here, mommy, smell this one!"

Sometimes they're shy and don't want anything to do with the girl with the purple shirt (yours truly). Sometimes they come right up to me and tell me about their day, or the toy that grandma just bought them. Once in a while, a little boy will run behind his mother's knee, only to peek out and giggle at me two seconds later.

I love to hang out with these kids. Nearly universally, I have them smell the chocolate cupcake. They grin, probably wondering and being amused by the lady with the tag around her neck.

As they leave, many look back and wave at the girl who wanted to give them attention, to make them smile in the middle of mommy's shopping trip. My hope is that they can face the world with a bigger grin, and with faith that strangers care, too.

Also, I have a bit of a Starbucks addiction. Please don't judge me too badly. Or at least, don't tell me if you do. But, one of the things I love is the quote that always appears on the side of my cup of hot chocolate. One day, I fell in love with this one:

The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say "no" - they may not be smart enough to say "yes."
-Keith Olbermann

No comments: